Friday, September 18, 2009

Jon Bon Jovi wades into Guitar Hero debate


JON BON JOVI has backed the protest by former Nirvana members over the use of Kurt Cobain's image in a new computer game.

The Bon Jovi singer said he understands why Cobain's former bandmates Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic are "dismayed and very disappointed" that Cobain's avatar can be used to play songs by other acts in Guitar Hero 5.

The Nirvana frontman, who committed suicide in 1994, can be used by players to perform a number of songs, including Bon Jovi's You Give Love A Bad Name.

Bon Jovi said: "I don't know that I would have wanted it either. To hear someone else's voice coming out of a cartoon version of me? I don't know. It sounds a little forced."

He said he was also approached by bosses at game giant Activision to appear alongside Cobain and Jimi Hendrix in the game, but refused.

He added: "I had the paperwork, they wanted me to be on that game and I just passed. But no one even broached the subject with me that I would be singing other people's stuff. I don't know how I would have reacted to that. I don't know that I would have wanted it either."

2 comments: